Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Abhorrent Deformity Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?



Mark: My name is Mark. I like to eat peanut butter and I do vocals in Abhorrent Deformity. We are a brutal death band from the Charlotte…well I live in Charlotte area.



Dave: My name is Dave, I’m a beer snob and the bassist.  We’re all from around the Charlotte area; I live in Lake Wylie, our drummer Matthew lives in Cherryville, and our guitarist Jason lives in Huntersville.  We’re just four dudes that like to play death metal.



2.So far you have released a demo and also have your first full length coming out during the end of October, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both recordings?



Mark: I feel from a vocalist stand point, we wanted to deliver something a little bit different than what was on the demo. While I was not featured on the demo, although do enjoy the vocals on it, We as a band wanted to do a little bit more in that regards and expand on vocal range. The diversity is pitches/tones is something I’m personally proud with. I think the dynamics make it a bit more interesting.



Dave:  To expand on what Mark was saying, we were wanting to fine tune our sound.  The demo was a great at the time, but at this point it’s a dated representation of our band.  Over time, and through member changes, we’ve been able to find what we feel is our ideal sound, and that identity is what we’re showcasing with our full length.       



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?



Mark: A lot of the lyrical topics I wanted to touch on were based on the evil of humans, in a nut shell. When I had joined the band, the album title was already decided upon but the lyrical content was blank so I had a lot of fun figuring out how to twist it and elaborate upon it. I have a lot of religious undertones to the songs, which certainly shines through on “Crown of Worms,” “Entity of Malevolence” and “Baptized in Embalming Fluid.” I know the vocals are aggressive and a little hard to decipher but Baptized has a lyric video so that should help it a tad bit. Religion is something I’m infatuated with neither in the pro or con sense, if one reads the lyrics I’m sure it’ll show. A few other topics we touch on are just horror and some gore, but in a more story telling nature. ”Skeleton Carver” is just a small insight on the heroin/drug problem I’ve seen, while “Buried Beneath Human Remains” is a less “personal” song, if you could call it that since it has to do with just killing so many people and burying them. It would seem that after a while there is no more dirt and they are just being buried underneath other forgotten people. As I’ve said before, I wanted to touch upon anything I could create a tangible tale of how we are the Entity of Malevolence.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Abhorrent Deformity'?



Dave: The meaning of Abhorrent Deformity- It’s a malformation that inspires disgust.  The inspiration behind our name- I wish there was some elaborate story behind it all, but really, we wanted a name that corresponded with the music we were writing.  We would have used a different name that had the same meaning, but One Direction was already taken.  



5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?



Dave: I would have to say that the Albany Metal Fest in Georgia, and our last show in Shelby, North Carolina were the most memorable shows for me.  I’m originally from Georgia, and it’s rare that you see “large underground” shows these days.  One of my friends (James Gillham of Invert the Idols) is working towards changing that.  In February he hosted the Albany Metal Fest in Albany, GA.  This was the first time a Metal Fest had been held there in almost a decade.  The whole experience was very nostalgic for me.  Most of the bands there had members that I had played shows with as a kid.  The show was a success, the town welcomed us with open arms, and overall it was just humbling to see everyone working together to preserve the music scene.  We were very grateful to have been included.   –As for our show in Shelby, NC… It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to play inside of a steel cage at an MMA Gym.  That was an experience.



6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?



Mark: After the album is released we are planning on doing a handful of short stints. There will be a few one off dates here and there but we will be mainly looking to do those stints and deathfests. Personally, the more death fests the better in my book! If anyone’s interested – our email and band page get checked daily. ;)



Dave:  Mark, Matthew and I are in in college right now, so that keeps our schedules limited at times.  However, we all enjoy doing this, so we’ll be on the road every chance we get.     



7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the deal you have signed with Comatose Music?



Dave:  We signed with Comatose Music last year to put out our album “Entity of Malevolence.”  Steve (owner of Comatose Music) has been a tremendous help to us during this whole process.  He hired Marco Hasmann to do our album art, helped out with recording costs, is taking care of distribution, set us up with PR, and has been very interactive during the writing/recording process.

 

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of brutal death metal?



Mark: I’ve not really looked at much of feed back since the demo had nothing to do with me, though I will admit to being curious how the album will be received. I know it is something we are proud of and looking to expand upon on the future releases.



Dave: I would say that the reaction has been great, not only from fans of brutal death metal, but also from fans of death metal in general.  I’m sure that we’ll have naysayers, but that’s something you have to be prepared for and accept as a musician.  We don’t expect to please everyone, we just want to put out music that we’re all proud of and enjoy playing.

    

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



Dave: In the future, I see Abhorrent Deformity moving forward and continuing to evolve.  “Entity of Malevolence” is a true representation of the band, but we don’t intend to recreate this album the next go-round.  We just plan to keep true to who we are as musicians, and to continue writing brutal music.   



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Mark: I really don’t listen to much death metal or things of that nature. The bands I do listen to, I love them. Deicide, Alterbeast is solid, I will always love Lamb of God, Dillinger Escape Plan and “The Rain in the Endless Fall” by Prayer for Cleansing. Oddly enough, I love a lot of indie rock, mainstream pop music and rap. As far as that goes, I’ve been killing the new Walk the Moon, Melanie Martinez – she was on the voice for a short bit a few seasons back but her solo stuff is awesomely errie, the new Mumford and Sons….and 1989 by Taylor Swift are all current favs. I’ve also been listening to a much of Deniro Farrar, he is a local Charlotte rapper. I think he is on Warner Brothers? anway, Drake, Yo Gotti. 50 Cent/G-unit, Jeezy, TI…I could go on but I’m going to stop. We all have guilty pleasures man. Don’t judge me.



Dave: Growing up, I was listening to a lot of Hardcore Punk, Grindcore, Death Metal, and “Mathcore.”  I would say those are the styles that influenced how I play. Some of the bands that I really got into back then were; Converge, Daughters, PsyOpus, Dillinger Escape Plan, Cephalic Carnage, Pig Destroyer, Origin, and The Locusts.  My love for brutal death was actually stemmed from The Locusts.  One of my friends told me that their drummer, Dave Astor, was playing in a band called Pathology.  I checked them out and my whole world was turned upside down.  I didn’t know what to think of it at first other than, “This is so brutal!”  Nowadays, I meanly listen to tech death and brutal death.  The bands I’ve really been enjoying lately are; Brain Drill, Disentomb, Pathology, Ingested, Antropofagus, Dysentery, and Atrocious Abnormality.     



11.What are some of your non musical interests?



Mark: I really enjoy watching professional wrestling, I follow Ring of Honor, PWG and CZW as much as possible. I also try to go to local ones like PWX anytime I can. I also enjoy cooking. I tend to cook a lot of veg friendly stuff. I also really enjoy making art, in fact I made a few of our shirts that will be offered for pre-order with our upcoming CD.



Dave:  I’m a comic nerd.  If you ever want to geek out- I’m your guy.  I could talk your ear off all day long, but don’t mistake me for being one of those antisocial/nerdy types.  To balance it out, I’m also into hunting, archery, shooting guns, and as I previously mentioned- I am a beer snob.  I love going to local breweries and having one of everything.  I was recently in Asheville, NC, and there’s a brewery around every corner.  I don’t remember much of that trip, but my bank statements would attest to the fact that I probably had a pretty great time.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Mark: Dude, thank you for hanging with us. Check out Entity of Malevolence, which comes out Oct 30 via Comatose Music. We will have pre-orders up in a few weeks, with pre-order exclusive shirts, which I designed. Follow us on IG or facebook at Abhorrent Deformity. Follow me on IG : wheniescape and If you’ve got a show, hit us up. We’re always down for a good time.

Dave: Thanks for having us, and it was a pleasure talking with you! Check out our song “Baptized in Embalming Fluid”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-jflRZSX4 and stay brutal!

No comments:

Post a Comment