Sunday, June 30, 2013

Darkane Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

We just released the new album The Sinister Supremacy and couldn’t be happier about that. Making this album was a lot of hard work and it’s great to finally see so many people liking it. We’re currently working on securing some shows for the fall and next year. Hopefully you’ll see us on tour real soon.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it
differs from previous releases?

I think it’s more experimental with different tempos and some grooves we haven’t tried before. It’s also the most well written album so far, we really took our time to make sure the songs were as awesome as they could be. Our performances are also our best so far. We made sure our playing was top notch and as I said, we’re very proud of what we’ve accomplished. We’ve raised the bar for ourselves and we’ll keep doing that for every release.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new release
explores?

I like to write about the darker side of our minds. The Sinister Supremacy is a metaphor for “the evil that controls us” and most of the lyrics deal with that in a way. It’s about that dark, selfish part of our minds that make us do bad things like hurt other people and hurt ourselves. We always like to write about psychology and this time I think every song deals with those topics.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

It’s a portmanteau of the words “dark” and “arcane”. I wasn’t in the band when that decision was made but I’m pretty sure all they wanted was a band name that sounded cool. That’s basically all that bands care about.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the
years and how would you describe your stage performance?

I wasn’t the singer back then, but I’m sure the other guys would say Dynamo Open Air of some other festival gig because those shows were so big and the response was so great. My favourite show so far was our first gig ever. It was in my hometown in front of my best friends. I had been talking about this new band that I sang with and it was so cool to show then what the band was all about. First and foremost we want to perform as well as we can but we also want to give the audience a great show. We like to connect with the audience and perform for them, not for our own sake.

6. What are the touring plans for the new release?

I can’t tell you yet since we haven’t decided anything for sure, but we have some touring options and we’ll try to make it out on a european tour this fall and hopefully USA next year and some festivals. That’s pretty much all I can say.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your new album by
fans of extreme metal?

Our fans love it, and that’s the only thing that matters to us. The response has been overwhealming in fact. A lot of people seem to think that our music is a breath of fresh air since most bands that do technical stuff usually plays very extreme death metal. Our style of thrash seems to connect with people.

8. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?

I’ve just released an album with my other band F.K.Ü. and Peter is releasing his second album with James LaBrie this summer. There’s not much else going on at the moment which is good as we can focus on Darkane.

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

Hard to say. We always like to stick to our roots and develop at the same time. I like to experiment but at the same time, I love those fast and intense Darkane songs. We’ll just do whatever we feel like I guess. The music you write is dependent on your state of mind, so it’s hard to know where we’ll be in a years time. Hopefully touring will give us an indication of what kind of songs our fans like, because we always like to talk to our fans. That will also weigh in of course.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your
newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

This answer will be boring since I don’t listen to much new stuff, but the newest band I’ve heard that was really good was Gojira. Not much impresses me nowadays, a lot of stuff just sounds the same. It might sound boring, but the only real influence we have is ourselves.

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I spend so much time with the music that I barely have any free time. I guess just watching movies and TV-series. I’m a big movie buff and like to explore older horror and thriller films.

12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thanks for this interview and I hope as many of your readers as possible will check out the new album. I think it’s got a little big for everybody and hope you’ll like it. If you see us on tour, come and say hi!

Answers by Lawrence Mackrory

No comments:

Post a Comment