Sunday, March 4, 2012

Laceration Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the project these days/

Currently I am recording material for a split CD, writing more music for a full length album and gigging at least once a month.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer material?

Faster, more brutal, more atmospheric and less slam. I try to combine my favourite bits of my favourite bands. The fast bits of Disgorge and Putridity with the atmosphere of Condemned, the groove of Dying Fetus and the ridiculous evil slams that Defeated Sanity throw in now and again.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects your new music explores?

Negative aspects of the human mind. Depression, isolation, self loathing. One song is about hating everyone and going insane and killing people to try and create your own Frankenstein race of people that won’t do anything to hurt you.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

It was a memorable 'brutal' sounding name. I wish it was something different now but it could be worse.

5.Have you thought about adding any other musicians to the band or do you choose to keep the project solo?

Live I'm keeping it solo for sure. In the studio for the full length album I will have Chris Ryan from Party Cannon playing bass and Tom Walker from Scatorgy on drums.

6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

I'd say the Death Metal Tea Parties in Glasgow and Edinburgh have been the most successful as well as the dates I played on tour with Cerebral Bore and Scordatura. The crowd were well into it and I put on a good show! My stage performance is as good as it can be for one man with a guitar, I try to keep my banter on stage quite light hearted.

7. Do you have any touring plans for the future?

I should have toured at least once by the end of the year but there are plans for more it's just they might not work out. I doubt I'll be playing outside of the UK in 2012 sadly.

8. Currently you are signed to UKEM Records, how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support that they have given you so far?

Chris got in touch with me about reissuing my 2011 promo cd a couple of months ago and I thought I might as well jump on it. I don't consider myself 'signed' to the label, it was a one off limited run and I plan on signing a different kind of deal for the full length album. I think Chris has done a great job in trying to get the cd well distributed and reviewed and I thank him for what he has done but I do plan on moving up the ladder and seeing what happens next.

9. On a worldwide level how has your music been received by fans of death metal/

Thanks to Youtube and facebook my music is listened to across the world, I know people in Europe and the US regularly buy t-shirts and contact me on facebook. It's a good feeling. I was reached about playing a European festival but that fell through due to cost but the fact they got in touch meant a lot to me.

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

More technical. With each song I write it gets more interesting, less one dimensional. As I progress as a musician my songs will keep evolving to reflect that.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I mentioned some earlier but here are some bands that influence me: Disgorge, Defeated Sanity, Condemned, Inherit Disease, Putridity, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Cerebral Effusion, Gortuary, Despondency, Brodequin, Disentomb, Embryonic Depravity, Guttural Secrete, Human Mincer, Septycal Gorge.

I've been listening to the new Condemned album pretty much as soon as it was released on constant rotation  and the last thing I bought was the Indecent Excision album. In the next week or so I'm planning on buying the material New Standard Elite records has been releasing. All the samplers sound awesome.

12. How would you describe the death metal scene in Scotland?

Getting better surprisingly. As long as it's in Edinburgh or Glasgow people are actually turning up to brutal death metal shows. Band such as myself, Scordatura, Agonised Deformity, Party Cannon and Cancerous Womb have a fairly big local following and people do turn up. Cerebral Bore are from Glasgow and are now arguably becoming one of the worlds biggest death metal bands. Every few months a new band pops up here and it is awesome!

13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Not hellish much. I go to University and spend a lot of time with my girlfriend. I'm not your average ‘metal head’, I go out to clubs and have a good time but gigs come first.

14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Check out the facebook page at www.facebook.com/LacerationUK check out the local bands I've mentioned, get excited about the upcoming releases, keep supporting the underground and thanks for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment