Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cardiac Arrest Interview

1. Can you update us with what is going on with the band these days?

ADAM: Well, our new album "Haven For the Insane" just came out earlier this month. We're about to gear up for the upcoming US Tour and several other fests/live shows. Other than that just continuously writing new material, that and just being pure delinquents!!!

JIM: As Adam mentioned, we begin the Campaign For Death Metal Purity 2010 tour with GRAVEHILL and HOD in barely a week. We’re really looking forward to that. Then, we hit the Central Illinois Metalfest and the Michigan Deathfest, before joining the final leg of the ENTHRONED/DESTROYER 666 tour with Pathology and ESTUARY. After that, we have a couple irons in the fire to close out the year’s live activities.

2. What is the meaning behind the band's name?

ADAM: Just plain heart failure.

3. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?

ADAM: Everything that pretty much symbolizes pure horror. Crypt robbing, Murders, Zombies, Contamination, Cannibalism, and everything in between. To me that makes good lyrical content.

4. The new album came out on Ibex Moon Records, how has the support been from the label so far?

ADAM: It's been great, the new album is getting out there and getting pushed, I think the future looks pretty good!!!

JIM: I don’t think we could possibly be happier with any other label. Working with John and his staff is a pleasure: good communication, distribution, support, advertising… it’s a total package. I should mention that Clawhammer PR has been instrumental in our success on the label so far.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

ADAM: Our stage performance? Audible Mass Murder!!!!! Some great show memories I'd say would be when we played w/ Macabre in 2007. Each time we've played Central Illinois Metalfest was a great time too, also last winter we went out to Columbus, Ohio and played with Acheron and that was a really good show for us.

JIM: We try to intensify the songs we play live – there’s no point in going through the motions onstage. If people want to hear the CD, they have that option, so, we try our best to make the show an actual performance. Highlights for me were the LA Murderfest, our CIM appearances, and the Incantation/Acheron tours we did last year.

6. Are there any future plans to play Europe?

ADAM: Nothing set as of now, definitely a goal we would like to reach be it a tour or a festival.

JIM: It’s something that’s been discussed, but no offers are currently on the table. I suspect that will change in the next few months. If you’re a European fan, make your desire to see us known.

7. When I listen to your music, it sounds like it could of easily came out in the 90's which is a good thing, what is your opinion on these newer genres such as tech death or deathcore, I know that a lot of old school death metallers dislike these new genres?

ADAM: I personally don't care about any of the trends that plague the scene. Trying to go out of the way to be "fresh" or "original" to me just doesn't cut it. Oh well, most of them will die off and jump on the next other bandwagon.

Tom: Speaking for myself, I started getting into death metal in the late 80’s. I also formed my first serious band in the late 80’s and were involved in the underground through the early 90’s. This style was all I ever knew and what I enjoyed playing the most. There are far too many divisions now within the genre. Back then, there were not all these different styles of death metal. It was just death metal. Now there is a name for every style and fans of the different styles. There is too much separation in my opinion. As far as disliking the new genres, I wouldn’t really say that…I just don’t get it. Technical music never did anything for me. I appreciate the talent behind it, but if you can’t bang your head to it, and there is no hook, what is the point??

JIM: I’m not a fan of dividing music into subgenres in the first place. I mean, good music is good music. Generally speaking, I prefer older music, because that’s what I got hooked on in the first place. That said, I get into certain technical bands, like Origin, Blotted Science, and the like, but, my heart is with crust punk and grindcore.



8. Are there any side projects besides this band if so who are they and what kind of music do they play?

Tom: I have another full time band going since 1995 called Severed. Same type of music, although it has more of a punk edge to it. Think early Abscess and that is about right.

JIM: David and I have an industrial doom project called LaydyBug DeathCamp, with Paul from Morgue Supplier on guitar. I also play drums for Sallah, a blackened/death extreme thrash band.



9. What are some of the horror films that the band is into?

ADAM: I can go on forever on what I like a lot; mainly from the 1960s through 80s Lots of them from directors like Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, H.G. Lewis, certain George Romero films, Mario Bava etc. I recently saw Rec 2 a month or so ago, and Goddamn that was a wicked film!!!!

Tom: I am a fan of 70’s and 80’s Italian horror the most. It's the same with American horror from the same time frame. My movie collection is huge and I’ve been into horror since I was a kid.



10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced the music and what are you listening to nowadays?

ADAM: A lot of early 90s Death Metal like Dismember/Grave/Unleashed/Death/Morbid Angel, etc is what influences me. I've been listening to a whole lot of different "sub genres" in the metal world. Between whatever Death Metal that seems good to me, also just listened to Superchrist today. They're very Motorhead/NWOBHM, great stuff.

Tom: The same thing I have always listened to and have been influenced by: Autopsy, early Death, Slaughter, Post Mortem, Hellhammer/Frost, Repulsion, Venom, etc. As far as new stuff, someone really has to sell me on it or I have to know them to listen. There are so many bands out there now; it is hard to take it all in.

JIM: Napalm Death, Queen, Sinister, Death, Morbid Angel, Disrupt, Anthrax, early Entombed, Dismember, Crowbar, and Vince DiCola are my biggest influences.

11. What are some of your interests outside of music?

ADAM: To be honest, most of my interests involve anything music/Metal related. Other than that, just sitting back watching a good Horror Movie or anything in relation.

JIM: I like to dabble in video games, philosophy, video editing, and spend time with my loved ones. Pretty boring… no murder, but, some mayhem.

12. Any final words or thoughts?

ADAM: Thanks a lot for the interview and to whoever reads this. Make sure you check out our new album "Haven For the Insane"!!!

Tom: Thanks and Cheers!!

JIM: I appreciate the interview, but, I really hope my last thought in print is not my FINAL though.

No comments:

Post a Comment